I’ve tried a lot of different authentication methods the last 2 years, like
- the special bank hardware tokens (with or without the need to also insert your card with chip)
- OTP’s via scratch card, special chart schemes, SMS, etc.
- digital certificates (bankID)
- ID/password (yes, banks in Sweden still use this..unbelievable!)
- mobile (one time ticket, mobile bankID)
The winner by far is authentication using the mobile. I use it for login to my banks internet bank and I use the mobile bankID for doing general services like tax declaration. It’s easy to use, fast and very convenient and I don’t need to carry any extra hardware. And to top..it’s very secure, even more secure than the special bank tokens.
Example. Login screen for Marginalen Bank mobile authentication app.